PROVIDING LIFE JACKETS OF FUNDING FOR LGAS/LCDAS PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA (AN ADDRESS TO ALL CARING CHAIRMEN)
1. All protocols observed. Kindly permit this presentation in a summarized format in order to focus clearly on what is most important.
2. We all know that government funds whether from national, state, ETF or World Bank sources shall never be adequate for funding primary schools in your domains. Hence there is a need to tap or source funds or voluntary donations in cash or in kind from within and outside your domain through those linked to or resident within. One obvious advantage of this method is its ability to perpetuate itself no matter the party in power.
3.The overall aim for sourcing these funds shall be the reduction of the gap between public and private schools in the LGA. It will at the same time aim to overturn the unnoticed trend in the country whereby 3 classes of citizens as identified by us are being generated through the educational system.
4.In making our proposals we will itemize the needs of primary schools in your domains which if fulfilled can help dissipate the feeling of inferiority complex amongst public primary school students. It is a well known fact that the best teachers and probably the best students are more often than not to be found in public primary schools.
5.With local participation in funding it shall be expected that more interest shall be shown by your local residents in the education of their children.
6.However, there is a need for determination of purpose and political sagacity to implement these proposals once they are accepted wholesale or partly. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was told that his educational objectives were too far-fetched and not achievable. Well, we are all witnesses to the fact that history proved him right. By now it must be obvious to the you Chairmen how difficult it can be to implement some programs no matter the good intentions and careful thoughts put in place for them.
7.Kindly note that our proposals will not dabble into things which your LGA cannot modify or cancel. These include overall national educational policies, curriculum arrangement, subject schemes of work etc. But surely something can be done about quality and control of educational inputs for our children. Specifically, your LGAs can do something to improve homework/classroom assignment, tests, performance reports etc.
8.We have therefore divided the needs of students in our primary schools as follows:
(a) Hardware-related (fixed assets) needs
(b) Academic-related needs
(c) Co-curricula-related needs
(d) Personal-related needs
(e) Remedial-related needs
These are listed in detail below… but we do understand that conditions are not the same all over Nigeria and that what is desirable in one LGA might not be implementable in others.
(B) WHAT ARE THE NEEDS OF OUR CHILDREN
(1) Hardware Needs
– Renovation of existing but damaged infrastructure
– Provision of additional classrooms and relevant furniture
– Provision of teaching and educational charts, audio/visual equipment
– Provision of Library services, textbooks, and reference books
– Provision of basic science rooms
– Provision of computers/printers
– Provision of rooms for arts and craft
– Provision of games and sporting facilities or playgrounds, indoor and ball games
– Landscaped environment demarcated properly into walk ways with stones, playing fields and areas of greenery made up of grass and/or flowers to provide a conducive atmosphere for schooling
– Provision of perimeter fences and fenced gates
– Provision of secured storage facilities for keeping school assets
– Provision of cafeteria, health bay,water supply and toilet facilities
– Provision of SKOLEE buses marked with the LGA’s names
– Provision of 5KVA generators for special programs or for pumping of water
– Provision of musical instruments.
TO BE CONTINUED