Arsenal have today announced the signing of Auxerre striker Yaya Sanogo, so we have conjured up 10 facts on the 20-year-old frontman for the Gunners to divulge in.
1) Sanogo was born in Massy in France to Ivorian and Malian parents and started his footballing days with Pairisian side CMS Pantin.
2) He progressed through a number of different youth sides in France before he was snapped up by Auxerre still only just 13.
3) He made an instant impression in the youth ranks at the club with 25 goals and 17 assists in just 14 games in 2006/07 but it took him until 2010 to break into the first team.
4) A double fracture in his leg kept him out of first team action for over 17 months and he only mustered 24 games for the club.
5) Sanogo has represented France in U16, U17, U19, U20 and U21 but is yet to make a senior appearance for Les Bleus.
6) Sanogo stands at over 6ft3 and relies on his sheer strength and athleticism to lead any attack that he is in.
7) He has scored 18 goals in 18 games for France U16, nine in 16 for U17, three in nine for U19, and three in four for U20. He also captianed the U17 side.
8) Sanogo is currently away at the U20 and scored two in two in the group stages to see them progress into the next round.
9) Sanogo is represented by one of the biggest agencies in the game, Beratung durch Familienangehorigen who also represent the likes of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Borussia Dortmund’s Ilkay Gundogan.
10) Sanogo revealed that he nearly quit football to work in a post office before his move to Arsenal happened.
New Arsenal signing scores 2 goals at Under-20 World Cup
Arsenal have completed the signing of 20 year old French striker Yaya Sanogo, and the good news for Arsenal fans is that the youngster is showing his class already, having banged in two goals at the Under 20 World Cup in Turkey.
Sanogo scored in France’s 3-1 win against Ghana and then again from the penalty spot in a draw against the United States, but failed to find the back of the net as France went down 2-1 to Spain in their final group game of the competition.
The talented youngster still had time in between his national duty to put pen to paper on a long term deal with Arsenal.
Arsene Wenger waxed lyrically about his new signing, telling the club’s official website, “Sanogo is a good young signing for us. He has shown that he has potential with his recent performances for Auxerre and also for the France Under-20 side. We are looking forward to Yaya joining us and continuing his promising development.”
Arsenal fans now wait with bated breath on the signing of a major striker, one who could have an impact on Arsenal’s 2013-14 season.