(B) WHAT ARE THE NEEDS OF OUR CHILDREN?
(2) Academic Needs
– Manpower training and staff incentives
– Extra manpower needs for staffing additional programs being proposed especially under remedial needs
– Implementation and follow-up of home work, class assignments,lateness and absentee records.
– Preparation and delivery of monthly/terminal reports to parents.
– Inter-school competitions covering debate, essay writing, quiz, maths, english etc.
– Setting up of academic-related students’ clubs
– Scholarship schemes based on examinations administered by the Education Department of your LGA. This will be for admission into reasonably-priced private secondary schools within the domain with up to 60% reduction in fees granted by the schools to the LGA
– Educational Tours and Excursions.
(3) Co-curricula-related Needs
– Inter-school games and sports competitions IN DECENT SPORTING ARENAS
– Inter-school competitions covering choral/singing, dancing, drama as well as use of musical equipment
– Setting up of students’ co-curricula-related clubs including those of Man-O-War, Scouting, Red Cross, Green Movement etc.
(4) Personnel-Related Needs
– Well-tailored uniforms not looking like those produced in war-torn zones
– Implementation of appropriate shoe/sock schemes coupled with proper hairstyles
– Monitoring of personal hygiene, through uniforms, finger nails etc
– Implementation of a mentoring system for those about to take national examinations
5. Remedial –related Needs
This is more or less guidance and counseling directed at those taking external examinations. It involves the use of extension classes on Saturdays between the hours of 10am to 3pm. (unheard of in public schools you might say. Maths and English classes can also be followed up with motivational discussions targeting the inferiority complex mode that is usually in existence amongst them. Parent Days should also target school leavers. Parents need to be presented with reports covering many performance indices. And these can be provided by us. Please let us also note that Parents’ Days are not to be equated to PTA days or events.
(C) SO HOW DO WE FINANCE/ IMPLEMENT ALL THESE?
(1) BY FUNDS GENERATION
(a) Setting up of an overall Educational Foundation for your LGA with launching to be done by the State Governor, Commissioner of Education and various political leaders from all parties. Leaders of industry and Commerce from the private sector and high net worth individuals from the society etc should also be invited.
(b) Setting up of Local Management Committees for schools or groups of schools.
(c) Reaching softly to private school proprietors in the domain for assistance or adoption of public schools as initiated by Dr. (Mrs.) Ezekwesili when she was the Federal Minister of Education. Other organizations which can be useful are Rotary and Lion clubs, International Society of Women etc especially for books and health bay facilities. NGO’s and Foundations such as those of General Danjuma, Dr Dangote and other businessmen will also be helpful.
(2) BY EXPENDITURE REDUCTION
(a)Your LGA should consider acquiring SKOLEE buses either brand new or through the State Government by conversion from their old fleet.
(b) Instead of buying some of the hardware for each school your LGA may consider opening one or two multipurpose educational centers which Edupedia has named CENTRES OF LIGHT. If well equipped they can be operated with a time table which shall be integrated with the time table of school leavers in each school so that those from each school can be the center once or twice in a month for computer education, ball/indoor games, library facilities such as novels comics, newspapers, magazines and audio/visual programmes such as educational films and computer games.
(c) But if the CENTRE OF LIGHT cannot accommodate sporting facilities, each school can have paved centres within for ball games such as basketball and volley ball and five-a-side football.
(d) NYSC students can also be used to fill the staffing gaps which are likely to be created by remedial needs and relevant programs On the other hand, your LGA can institute a volunteer Corp of young school leavers properly briefed by the consultant for the project (EDUPEDIA) to fill in the gap. Those used might be given token stipend for the job as long as they are made to understand what volunteer service really implies from the beginning. Above all, EDUPEDIA can be used for implementation of these programs at a reasonable cost. Of course all these have to be done hand-in-hand with the Education Department of your LGA
NOTE:…Kindly refer this write-up to the LGA chairman closest to you…thanks