OAU PHYSICS 2009 POST-UTME
1. What is the number of neutrons in the Uranium isotope 238 92 X?
2. Which of the following is not contained in a dry cell?
A. carbon rod
B. paste of magnesium chloride
C. paste of ammonium chloride
D. zinc case
E. copper rod
3. A device that converts sound energy into electrical energy is
A. The horn of a motor car
B. An AC microphone
C. A microphone
D. The telephone earpiece
E. A loud speaker
4. The refractive index of a liquid is 1.5. If the velocity of light in a vacuum is 3.0 x 10 8 m/s, the velocity in the liquid is
1.5 x 10 8 m/s
2.0 x 10 8 m/s
3.0 x 10 8 m/s
4.5 x 10 8 m/s
9.0 x 10 8 m/s
5. The product of PV where P is pressure and V is volume has the same unit as
E. all the above
6. I f the force on a change 0.2 coulomb in an electric field is 4N, then the electric intensity of the field is
7. A household refrigerator is rated 200 watts. If electricity costs 5K per kwh, what is the cost of operating it for 20 days?
8. T o find the depth of the sea, a ship sends out a sound wave and receives an echo after one second. If the velocity of sound in water is 1500m/s, what is the depth of the sea?
9. Which of the following is common to evaporation and boiling ? They
A. take place at any temperature
B. are surface phenomenon
C. involve change of state
D. take place at a definite pressure
E. none of the above
10. A train has an initial velocity of 44m/s and an acceleration of -4m/s. What is its velocity after 10 seconds
11. T he height at which the atmosphere ceases to exist is about 80km. If the atmospheric pressure on the ground level is 760mmHg, the pressure at a height on the ground level is 760mmHg, the pressure at a height of 20km above the ground level is?
12. The resistance of a wire depends on
A. The length of the wire
B. The diameter of the wire
C. The temperature of the wire
D. The resistivity of the wire
E. All of the above
13. W hen a yellow card is observed through a blue glass, the card would appear as
14. I f two masses 40g and 60g respectively, are unattached firmly to the end of a light metre rule , what is the center of gravity of the system?
A. the mid point of the meter rule
B. 40cm from the lighter m
C. 40km from the heavier mass
D. 60cm from the heavier mass
E. undetermined because the meter rule is light
15. T he force with which an object is attracted to the earth is called………..
16. Which of the following instrument has a pure tone ?
B. vibrating string
C. turning fork
17. Which of these is not a fundamental S.l unit ?
18. A radio wave has a velocity of 3 x 10 8 m/s . If a radio station sends out a broadcast on a frequency 800KH 3 , what is the wave length to the broadcast?
19. A simple pendulum 0.6m long has a period of 1.55. What is the period of a similar pendulum 0.4m long in the same direction
20. The mode of heat transfer which does not require material medium is
21. The resistance of a 5m uniform wire of cross sectional area of 0.2 x 10 -6 m 2 is0.45ohms .What is the resistivity of the material of the wire?
1.80 x 10 -8 ohms m
4.25 x 10 -6 ohms m
2.40 x 10 7 ohms m
1.70 x 10 8 ohms m
1.40 x 10 -8 ohms m
22. A man of mass 50kg ascends a flight of stairs 5m high in 5 seconds. If the acceleration due to gravity is 10m/s , the power expended is
23. Four lenses are being considered for use as a microscope object, which of the following focal length is most suitable?
24. Two strings of the same length and under the same tension gives notes of frequencies in the ratio 4:1 . The masses of the strings are in the rates of
25. A machine has a velocity ratio of 5. If it requires a 50kg of weight to overcome 200kg weight, the efficiency is