OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY POST-UTME PAST QUESTIONS
PHYSICS.POST JAMB TEST 2010
1. An 0.60kg rubber stopper is whirled in a horizontal circle of 0.80m radius at a rate of 0.3 revolutions per second. What is the tension in the string?
2. The superposition of two or more waves to produce a maximum or zero effect at a point is known as:
3. Which of the following about electrolysis is false
A. liquid that conduct electricity and are split up chemically by the current are electrolyzed
B. the current is brought into the electrolyte by the anode
C. the current is taken away from the electrolyte by the cathode
D. the container which holds the electrolyte and the cathode is the voltmeter
4. The most likely measurement of length of an object using a Venier caliper is
5. The acceleration due to gravity
A. increases with increasing altitude
B. decreases with increasing altitude
C. increases with increase in the square of the altitude
D. is not affected by the altitude
6. Which of the following is not true about the properties of x-rays
A. they are not deflected
B. they ionize a gas , making it a conductor
C. they are massive
D. they have high penetrating power
7. Highly polished silvery surfaces are:
A. poor absorbers but good emitter of radiation
B. good absorbers and good emitters of radiation
C. poor emitters but good reflectors of radiation
D. poor emitters and poor reflectors of radiation
8. A mass of 0.5kg is attached to one end of a helical spring and produces an extension of 2.5cm. The mass now set into vertical oscillation of amplitude 10mm . The period of oscillation is : (g = 10m/s 2 )
9. A gas at constant pressure of 4.0 x 10 5 Pa is cooled so that its volume decreases from 1.6m 3 to 1.2m 3 . What work is performed by the gas?
6.4 x 10 5 J
3.2 x 10 5 J
1.6 x 10 5 J
0.4 x 10 5 J
10. A transformer is connected to a 240V supply. The primary coil has 40 turns, and the secondary is found to be 960V. What is the ratio of the number of turns of the primary coil to the number of turns of the secondary coil?
11. An automobile is traveling at 60km/hr. Calculate the angular velocity of the 0.35m radius wheels.
A. 16.67 rad/s
B. 47.6 rad/s
C. 21 rad/s
D. 171.4 rad/s
12. Which of the following phenomena cannot be explained by the molecular theory of matter ?
13. Which of the following is not true about an object that is projected upwards at angle 0
A. the velocity is maximum at the maximum height
B. the acceleration along the horizontal direction of zero
C. the maximum range (R max ) for an object moving with speed u is given by u 2 /g
D. the time it takes to get the maximum height is equal to the time it takes to come back to the point of projection
14. For a particle having an x coordinate that varies in time according to the expression x = 4t – 2t 2 . The instantaneous velocity for the particle at a t = 2.5 is:
15. Which of the following statement is not true?
A. electric field intensity is force per unit charge
B. electric potential is a vector
C. the S.l unit of electric field strength is N/C
D. electric field intensity is equal to potential gradient
16. An air bubble at the bottom of a lake has a volume of 20cm 3 , pressure of 4.9Pa, and temperature 4 0 C. and the pressure 1.0Pa. Find the volume as the bubble reaches the surface (Take 1 atm = 1.0 x 10 5 N/m 2 )
17. An 0.040Kg string 0.80m long is stretched and vibrated in a fundamental model with a frequency of 40Hz. What is the speed (of propagation) of the wave and the tension in the string?
18. A long jumper leaves th e ground at an angle of 20 0 above the horizontal and at a speed of 11m/s. How far does it jump in the horizontal direction?
19. If the force of gravity of an object of mass m, the gravitational field strength , g, is given by the following equation:
g = (mF) 1/2
B. g = mF
g = m(F) 1/2
D. g = F/m
20. If 21g of alcohol of density 0.7gcm -3 is mixed with 10g of water, what would be the density of the resulting mixture?
21. Which of the following statements is not TRUE about a body performing simple harmonic motion?
A. the linear speed is the product of the angular speed and the radius or amplitude
B. the linear accleration is the product of the square of the angular speed and the displacement
C. frequency is the number of complete revolution per second made by a vibrating body
D. the S.l unit of amplitude is Hertz (Hz)
22. A boat is passing under a bridge. The deck of the boat is 15m below the bridge. A small package is to be dropped from the bridge onto the deck of the boat when the boat is 25m from just below the drop point. What (boat) speed is necessary to have the package land in the boat [g = 9.8m/s 2 ]
23. When three coplanar non-parallel are in equilibrium . Which of the following is false?
A. they can be represented in magnitude and direction by the three sides of a triangle taken in order
B. the lines of action meet at a point
C. the magnitude of the force equals the magnitude of the resultant of the other two forces
D. any one force is the equivalent of the two.
REMEMBER TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE http://www.facebook.com/mason.collegefestac. WE APPRECIATE YOU PRESENCE