OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERISTY2006 POST UME TEST
SUBJECT: PHYSICS (QUESTIONS 1-9 OF 23)
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. A 70kg man ascends a flight of stair of height 4m in 7s. the power expended by the man is
2. A body accelerates uniformly from rest at 6ms -2 for 8 seconds and then decelerates uniformly to rest in the next 5 seconds . The magnitude of the deceleration is :
(a) 9.6ms -2
(b) 48ms -2
(c) 24.0ms 2
(d) 39.4ms -2
3. A nail is pulled from a wall with a string tied to the nail. If the string is inclined at an angle of 30 0 to the wall and the tension in the string is 50N ,the effective force used in pulling the nail is
4. If M and R are the mass and radius of the earth respectively and G is the universal gravitational constant, the earth’s gravitational potential at an altitude H above the ground level is:
(a ) -GM/H
5. Which of the following statement is not true:
(a) As the slope of an inclined plane increases, the velocity ratio decreases. Acceleration due to gravity g= 9.8m/s. Gas constant R = 8.31 j/mol.K. Speed of light in vacuum C= 3.0 x 10 8 m/s. Planck constant H = 6.63 x 10 -34 j.s
(b) The efficiency of an inclined plane decreases as a slope increases.
(c) The effort required to push a given load up an inclined plane increases as the slope increases
(d) The mechanical advantage of a smooth inclined plane depends on the ratio of the length of the height of the plane.
6. The ice and steam point of a thermometer are 20mm and 100mm respectively. A temperature of 75 0 C corresponds to Ymm on the thermometer. What is Y?
7. An electric kettle with negligible heat capacity is rated to 2000w. If 2.0kg of water is put in it , how long will take the temperature of water to rise from 20 0 to 100 0 ? [ specific heat capacity of water = 4200J kg -1 k -1 ]
8. A quantity of ice at 10 0 C is heated until the temperature of heating vessel is 90 0 C . Which of the following constant is NOT required to determine the quantity of heat supplied to the vessel?
(a) Specific latent heat of vaporization
(b) Specific heat capacity of ice
(c) Specific latent heat of fusion.
(d) Specific heat capacity of water.
9. The scent from jar of perfume opened in one corner of a room is picked up in another part of the room. The perfume move through the air molecules by what process.
Visit http://.lagosbooksclub.wordpress.com and http://edupedianigeria.wordpress.com MORE OFTEN and invite your friends for other related matters
REMEMBER TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE http://www.facebook.com/mason.collegefestac.
WE APPRECIATE YOU PRESENCE.Make sure to share with friends.
OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY2006 POST UME TEST
SUBJECT: PHYSICS(QUESTIONS 11-22)
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
11. A convex lens of focal length of 10.0cm is used to form a real image whichis half the size of the object. How far is the object from the image?
12. A diverging lens of focal length 20cm forms an image half the size of the object. What is the object distance?
13. An object of height 3.00cm is placed 10cm in front of a biconvex lens of focal length 15cm. The image of the object is
(a) Real and 3.00cm tall
(b) Virtual and 3.00cm tall
(c) Virtual and 9.00cm tall
(d) Real and 9.00cm tall
14. The most suitable type of mirror used for the construction of a search light is the :
(a) Concave mirror
(b) Convex mirror
(c) Spherical mirror
(d) Parabolic mirror
15. Light waves and ripples of water are similar because both
(a) Are longitudinal waves
(b) Have the same velocity
(c) Can be diffracted and refracted
(d) Have the same frequency
16. Three 4-? resistors were connected in series by tola while ade connected the same set of resistors in parallel. The ratio of the value obtained by ade to that obtained by tola is
18. A coil of copper wire of N turns is kept rotating between the poles of a permanent magnet such that the magnetic flux linking the coil changes continuously. Which of the following statement is true?
(a) An emf is induced in the coil such that when the change of flux is positive the emf is positive, and when the change of flux is negative, the emf is negative.
(b) An emf is induced in the coil whose magnitude is inversely proportional to both the number of turns in the coil and the rate of change of magnetic flux.
(c) An emf is set up in the permanent magnet which reduces the flux in the coilto zero.
(d) A current flows in the coil and emf is set up proportional to both the rate of change of the flux and the number of turns.
19. The principle of operation of an induction coil is based on
(a) ohm’s law
(b) Ampere’s law
(c) Faraday’s law
(d) Coulomb’s law
20. The equation
150 62 X ? 150 63 Y + k + energy, represents
(a) ?- decay
(d) Photon emission
21. Which of the following radiation is a magnetic field?
(a) ?- rays (ii) ?-rays (iii) y-rays (iv) X- rays
(b) (i) and (ii) only
(c) (iii) and (iv) only
(d) (i) and (iii) only
22. The half –life of a radioactive element is 9 days. What fraction of atoms has decayed in 36 days? (a) ?