ACADEMIC TIPS AND NEWS ON WAEC/NECO (SSCE/GCE),JAMB & LIFE 101 POINTERS
200 REALISTIC STUDY TIPS FOR NIGERIAN SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (10)
91. A student in Mason College, Festac submitted the following daily routine and comments for Monday to Friday. May be you should consider drawing up one yourself too. In doing so your parents or/and teachers could be helpful. 5am – 6am – Study. 6am – 7am – Do home chores / Have my bath. 7am – 7.45am – Go to school. 7.45am – 2pm – In school, refer to my revision notes when I can. 2:30pm – 3:30pm – Home work (at school) 3:30pm – 5pm – After-school Lessons/Remedial Studies / Social Activities 5pm – 6pm – Go back home. 6pm – 10pm – Do home chores, eat dinner listen to news, watch TV including reality shows. 10pm – 11pm – Study. 11pm – 5am – Sleep. If anything disturbs this routine I do not get myself worried at all. But I make sure I get enough sleep because it will be harder to concentrate on anything if you get less than six hours of sleep a night.
92. If you are living in a noisy or crowded environment stay back in school to complete your home work.. if not part of after-school activities as it was in Mason College. And plan to study when your area is less noisy. If there is a loud-speaker of a shop, church or mosque nearby then plug your ear phone plugs as earlier suggested and just ignore the surrounding noisy distractions. The success you make out of this comes from inside of you and not the noisemakers outside you.
93. Sometimes when you find the stuff you have to read boring. Sing a song or play a song. Or think of something funny. If these do not work leave the table and go watch T.V or listen to the radio. Accept the situation as it is. Do not blame yourself or the stuff you want to read. We are all like that. Things may not be the same the following day. Training of the brain to react to physical stimulus takes some time. But you will get there.
94. If you are lazy it is time you STAND UP, STEP FORWARD and TAKE ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY ON YOUR SHOULDERS AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE THE CREATOR OF YOUR OWN DESTINY. ALL THE STRENGTH AND SUCCESS YOU WANT IS WITHIN YOURSELF! SO ALWAYS BE POSITIVE. BE YOURSELF. REMEMBER YOU CAN DO SOMETHING BETTER THAN ANYBODY ELSE. SO ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE AND OBEY THAT! AND REMEMBER WINNERS DON’T DO DIFFERENT THINGS. THEY JUST DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY.
95. Be careful about what you put in your REVISION NOTEBOOK. Don’t write too much information or data. Just write what is really important. But re-reading or revising your Revision Notebook is very important too.
96. When you study do not sit throughout the period. You can get up every 30 minutes. It will keep you alert.
97. When you decide to become organized about your studies in school and at home it is usually difficult at first. But when you make it a habit you will be amazed at how everything starts changing for you.
98. Fortitude is necessary. Do not give up. No matter discouraging words from teachers or classmates. Take your time. Have a schedule. Follow it without putting yourself under any pressure. Your education is your key to a good life. Don’t stop trying.
99. Even when you are in a public bus you can check your Revision Notes. It is a sign that you have finally taken a positive attitude towards studying.
100. You have to decide your priority at school. Is it fun or education? The answer should be both. But don’t let the fun get in the way of education. By the way – learning is fun as we showed most of our students at Mason College Festac.